1/05/2011

[zen]

So what do you think of my new look?

Apparently I get bored easy. Blog not up for even a month and it has a new face lift. I like it much more though. It's so clean and breezy and Zen ahhhh.

Have you noticed that the word Zen gets tossed around like nobody's business these days? It has become a buzz word and a tagline for marketing. It gets used everyday, as if it's an English word, and most people aren't entirely sure what it even means. I'll admit, if I see a product in the stores that says Zen on it, I'll probably take a second look. I work in marketing and I still fall for it all the time. ;)

So what is Zen? It is actually a Mahayana movement, introduced into China in the 6th century AD and into Japan in the 12th century. Zen emphasizes enlightenment for the student by the most direct possible means, accepting formal studies and observances only when they form part of such means. One way to think of Zen is as a total state of focus that involves a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being as well as a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

A bit ironic really... especially when we're being sold a Zen car seat cover or a Zen hair dryer. What do these things have to do with dropping illusion and creating your own thoughts? Ah well. 

On that note, I hope you enjoy my new Zen inspired blog. heehee

I will leave you with my Asian inspired earrings...

 

1 comment: